Saturday, April 18, 2009

Blizzard Break-Down

We got a lot of snow yesterday, which apparently is unusual for April, even in Colorado.  

I had a very weird day yesterday.  I was scheduled to sub teach high school English at a small country school about 40 mins from our house in Alamosa.  When I awoke and saw the snow, I checked online but there were no closings or delay announcements, so I headed out around 7:15am.  After driving a few miles and realizing the roads were pretty bad, I decided to call the school.  Sure enough, they'd just decided on a two-hour delay, so I turned around and headed back to Alamosa.  Deric and I had breakfast together and then around 9:15am I headed back towards the school. 

 About 30 mins into the drive, along an isolated country road, the Cabrio suddenly slowed down and came to a complete stop. (No idea why...there was more than a half tank of gas, no warning signs, etc. It had done this on Easter Sunday morning as well, but we figured it was something flukey, like snow getting into the gas tank or something, because the car started right back up again after an hour or so.)  So, there I was, on the side of this country road, in the snow, about 5 miles from the school. I was surrounded by "white-wash" and couldn't see more than twenty feet in each direction. I'm so glad I had my phone with me!  I made several phone calls: to Deric, the school, and USAA roadside assistance.  

It was pretty comical trying to explain to the USAA lady where exactly I was stranded.  She was having a hard time locating my position on a map.  I was still on the phone with her when a cop pulled up behind me.  (I've never been so relieved to see flashing lights behind me!)  He suggested that he call a tow truck and offered to wait with me until it showed up, just to make sure no one hit me while I was parked.  I decided to go with that option because who knows how long it would've taken the USAA lady to figure out where I was!  About half an hour later, the tow truck showed up and we were on our way to a mechanic (about 45 mins away). 

I finally got home around noon, two and a half hours after my break down.  I was bummed that I never made it to school and lost that subbing job, but very thankful to be home! I changed into my pj's and crawled into bed.  After my traumatic morning, I just wanted to veg out and watch a movie (which I did). Last I heard from the mechanic was around 4pm that afternoon, and he had no idea what was wrong.  Hopefully they'll figure it out on Monday, and hopefully it's nothing too expensive to fix!  

2 comments:

Jody and Ruth Been said...

wow. that does not sound like a fun day. i'm glad you were okay! how is the car? did you find out what was wrong?

AbReformed said...

Glad you survived! Love the pictures from "NICA". You cut your hair! I love that as well.

Briz